Certain Government Payments (1099-G)

General Information about the 1099-G

On January 6th you can access your 1099-G, Certain Government Payments form, on the Kansas Customer Service Center (KCSC). The 1099-G is available for customers who had an overpayment of state income tax in the previous year and itemized deductions on their federal return. The Internal Revenue Service will also receive the information from the 1099-G. To access your 1099-G, click on this link: https://www.kdor.ks.gov/Apps/kcsc/login.aspx.

If your tax balance is less than your total credits including payments, you will have an overpayment. If this happens, you can choose to receive a refund or to credit the full or partial amount to future tax year(s).

If you received a Kansas income tax refund (or credit forward or offset or made a contribution to a check-off program) in the previous year, you generally must include that amount of income on your federal income tax return if you itemized your deductions on your federal return. The worksheet in the federal Form 1040 instructions will allow you to figure the amount (if any) to include in your income.

If you did not itemize your deductions on your federal tax return for the same year as the overpayment applies to, do not report any of the overpayment as income.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Kansas Department of Revenue is required by federal law to issue this form to you as an informational statement for your records. It reports all state income tax overpayments in the previous year. The Internal Revenue Service will also receive the information on the 1099-G form.

You may need to report some or the entire amount shown on 1099-G form on your federal return if you itemized your federal deductions last year. To figure how much to report, complete the worksheet included in your federal booklet. For more information, you may need to contact the Internal Revenue Service. You will subtract the amount you include on your federal 1040 form, on your Kansas K-40 form.

In cases where a joint return is filed, the 1099-G form contains the lower numeric Social Security number.

No, this is a record of an overpayment (refund) for the previous year.

We issued the refund to you, and based on your instructions, we applied the money to your estimated tax account. This does not change the fact that you received an overpayment. Therefore we are required to report the amount on 1099-G form.

Even though the refund was applied to an outstanding account, we are required to report it as a refund you were entitled to receive.

You are not required to attach these forms issued by the Department of Revenue to the federal or state returns. If you know the correct amounts, you can complete your federal return without them. If you do not know the correct amounts, you can access your 1099-G on the Kansas Customer Service Center or call 785-368-8222.

Call the Internal Revenue Service for assistance.

Call 785-368-8222. If the 1099-G form is incorrect we will send you a corrected 1099-G form for you to keep with your records and also send the corrected information to the Internal Revenue Service. You will not need to send a copy to the Internal Revenue Service unless they request it from you. You should use the correct amount when you file your federal return.

Call the Department of Revenue at 785-368-8222 for assistance. Be sure to check first that you did not apply the money to next year's estimated tax, have the refund sent to the Debt Settoff Program to pay an existing balance due or make a contribution to one of the check-off programs.