THERE ARE MULTIPLE VALID TYPES OF KANSAS DRIVER’S LICENSE / IDENTIFICATION CARDS
- Driver’s license and identification cards issued to under-aged persons will continue to be in the vertical format.
- A red bar continues to appear under the cardholder’s portrait who is between 14 and 20 years of age with the date when then they will turn 21 years of age.
- A green bar continues to appear under the portrait for those under 14 years of age.
- For Real ID information click here
TIPS FOR VERIFYING PATRON IS OF LEGAL DRINKING AGE
- You can refuse service to a person if you are suspicious about their age.
- Request a second or third form of identification.
- Question the person about their birthdate, age, address, etc. without them being able to refer to the ID.
- Be cautious of out-of-state driver's licenses when used by a person that is youthful in appearance.
- Post signage that you check IDs for age verification and then actually enforce the practice.
COMMON MISTAKES MADE DURING AGE VERIFICATION CHECKS
- Selling to a person who presents a vertical license (these are issued to underage persons).
- It is possible that they have turned 21 and still have the old license, but be very careful.
- The vertical license will also contain a colored bar which includes the words "under 21 until **/**/**" (the date of their 21st birthday).
- The driver's license issued to an adult, over the age of 21, is horizontal.
- It is recommended that a licensee have a visible reminder for employees, which states what date a person must have been born before to be 21 years of age. Many businesses use a daily changing calendar type device.
- The picture on the identification doesn't match the person presenting it.
- Be aware that modern technology allows for the production of a more sophisticated fake ID.
- Selling alcoholic beverages to a person with no form of photo identification.
LICENSEE TRAINING IS AVAILABLE
Request an educational visit from an ABC Agent. Training topics include: proper identification verification procedures, how to be compliant with liquor statutes and regulations, and an overview of Underage Drinking Laws.